Genre Brainstorming!

     As my group and I begin to brainstorm our ideas for our 2-minute film opening for our AICE Media Studies AS evaluation, I thought it would be a good idea to research famous openings of some of my favorite film genres. Given that this is the first time I have had creative control over a project like this one, I do want to create a piece in a genre that I do enjoy watching. 

    One of my favorite film genres is RomComs. These are generally light-hearted films, and the openings also tend to introduce the main character, as well as the conflict. Characters are typically depicted as hopeless romantics with bad luck in their love lives and they always seem to be extremely clumsy or unhappy with their employment and yearn for love as a distraction from their problems. 

    The first part of the video below shows the opening scene of one of my favorite films of all time, "Crazy, Stupid Love" (2011). This opening scene is effective in specific because it introduces two of the main characters, as well as the main conflict of the film, Cal's divorce from his wife. The conflict is introduced in a comedic, out-of-the-blue way, which sets the tone for the rest of the film and captivates the viewer as well, doing exactly what an effective film opening should do.

https://vimeo.com/52096580 


Another one of my favorite genres that I am interested in dabbling in for the portfolio project is horror. Horror film openings have one ingredient that outdoes all the others: mystery. Whether it's dark colors, somber music, or extensive periods of silence, horror movies build on one of every viewer's worst fear: the unknown. However, the opening scenes of other horror movies will capture a moment and introduce certain plot details and characters before the horror strikes.

    One of my favorite Horror films is "Us" (2019). In my opinion, it has one of the most remarkable and intriguing film openings I've ever seen. The initial shot of the singular rabbit immediately captures my attention every time I watch the film. The symbolism that is presented at the literal beginning of the film leaves the viewer captivated and attentive throughout the entire film, especially when paired with the intensifying music in the background and the abstract and intense font and coloring that introduces the main cast and crew.

    


    In my 2-minute film opening, I hope to be able to draw upon certain genre characteristics to create film openings as remarkable as the ones I have mentioned. I'm glad we have adequate planning time to create and execute the vision we come up with, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Product!

     It's been a very long two months, but the final product of "Steve" is finally here! We hope you enjoy it! Thank you to ev...